What is PayPal?
PayPal is an electronic commerce company that facilitates payments between parties through online transfers. PayPal allows customers to establish an account on its platform, which is connected to a user’s credit card or checking account. Once identification and proof of funds are confirmed, users can begin sending or receiving payments to and from other PayPal accounts online or through the company’s app. PayPal also hides this financial information from businesses, adding a layer of security to online shopping
Benefits and uses of PayPal
- Transfer money to or from your bank account to your PayPal account
- Get a cash advance from your credit card and deposit the amount in your PayPal account
- Make person-to-person (P2P) payments by transferring money from your PayPal account to another
- Have a check mailed to you for the balance of your PayPal account
- Get a PayPal debit card that you can use to make real-world purchases from your PayPal account
Why are PayPal services not available in Ghana?
In July 2014, PayPal blacklisted Ghana and some other African countries due to the high number of credit card fraud that was originating from these countries.
Some countries on the list, like Nigeria, have had the ban level reduced, but they still can not receive funds through their PayPal.
When will Ghana Be Taken off PayPal’s Blacklist?
Ghana has concluded discussions with renowned online payments’ system PayPal and will, therefore, if all goes well, become one of the Paypal-compliant countries soon, Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has announced
The Vice President made the announcement at the launch ceremony for the first phase of the first mobile money payments interoperability system in Ghana in Accra on Thursday 10th May, 2018.
Ghana was expected to come out from the PayPal ban in 2019 but it didn’t work.
To create a PayPal account in Ghana, you need 3 things (which you should already have as a Ghanaian). These are:
- An active phone number (I recommend MTN and Vodafone; Glo and AirtelTigo sometimes have issues receiving OTP from PayPal).
- Full Name as it appears on a recognized National ID
- A working email address (You should never have tried to use this address to register a PayPal account)
- Google Chrome browser (Remember to choose “desktop mode” on your mobile browser if you are going to use a smartphone.)
Step-by-Step guide to open a verified PayPal account
Visit any of the following the PayPal website from your Google Chrome browser
b. https://www.paypal.com/ls (used for the tutorials)
Step 1: Visit the PayPal Lesotho homepage and click on sign up for free or sign up in the top right corner
Step 2: On the “Sign Up” screen, choose “Business Account”. The business account gives you more access and the chance to receive funds as well as send money in a hassle-free manner, it can also help you receive payments on websites.
After selecting the “business account” click the “continue” button to navigate to the next page.
Step 3: Enter a valid email address to proceed
Step 4: Provide a very secured password to proceed
Step 5: Enter your Name: Use the official name on your officially Approved ID Card. It is needed to keep the account safe in case of any problem. Fill the Legal Business Namespace with any name or If you have a valid registered business, you can use that name.
At the phone number column circled below, click on the Lesotho flag and select Ghana, then enter your valid Ghana phone number. This is very important so that you have full access to the account. Proceed to enter Postcode: 00233. Also, for the Business Address, use your residential address if you have no business address. Finally, select your preferred Currency: You can choose any currency you want. It is advisable to choose the currency most of your transactions will be in. we are going to deal in US dollars. Tick the button to accept the terms and conditions to complete the registration.
Step 6: Fill the business information such as
Business type: You can choose any but sole proprietor/individual will be selected in this tutorial. Enter any information at the product and service keywords, you can provide your web link if available
Step 7: provide your date of birth and nationality, it is highly recommended selecting GHANA. Choose the ID type and add your ID number.
Step 8: Congratulations you have successfully created your PayPal account in Ghana for
Free. You will be redirected to your PayPal personal dashboard as below:
After successful registration, PayPal will send you a verification
Email used during the registration.
Log in to your email account inbox and click on the verification
Link to verify your account.
It is very important to verify your email else PayPal may block your account
After clicking verify email enter your PayPal account password to proceed.
Thank you for your time. If you have any question kindly comment below
our next tutorials will be on
- how to deposit money into your PayPal account
- how to link your account and cards
- How to get a virtual credit and debit card (visa and master card without opening a bank account)
- How to withdraw money from PayPal, into bank accounts, mobile money etc
You can join our telegram group using the link below